Pine Hills Men's Golf Association (PHMGA)
433 West 130th Street
Hinckley, Ohio 44233
All golf in the Pine Hills Men's Golf Association will be under the jurisdiction of the 2019 Rules of Golf as approved by the USGA, dated effective Jan. 1, 2010, with the exception of those local rules adopted under local rules provisions. The above will be subject to Posted Rules of the Day.
The following local rules are adopted in accordance with the applicable provisions of the Rules of Golf:
1. In case of ties in handicap events, the Association will use the USGA recommendations as shown in the Rules of Golf with the following additions:
Match Play - The playoff will be played on the same day as the match was started. In the event of darkness or inclement weather, the playoff date and time will be mutually agreed upon by the players and subject to the provisions of local rules. Strokes in handicap match play events occur in the same sequence on extra holes as in the original 18 holes.
Stroke Play - In weekly events, however, ties will result in splitting the prize money between all tied players.
2. Since the Association will hold medal tournaments in conjunction with match play events, players must putt out on every hole included conceded holes. Otherwise the player must disqualify themselves from the medal event. Should disputes arise when competing in both tournaments simultaneously, a player should proceed by playing a second ball, completing the hole with both balls, then request a ruling when the round is completed.
3. The following are deemed to be obstructions and you are not in a penalty area: shelter houses; wooden bridges; water fountains, sprinkler heads and faucets; man-made concrete foundations, and paved cart paths, a player is entitled to complete relief under the rules of golf.
4. Line of sight relief to the pin shall be permitted from all electrical boxes on the course. In such cases the player may lift and drop the ball, without penalty, within one club length of, and not nearer the hole, then the nearest point of relief.
5. The lake on #18 is a penalty area and should be played according to the rules of golf. Both lakes and the cart path are considered one penalty area. If a ball has been played across the water and has landed beyond the penalty area but rolled back in, the lake should be played as a penalty area. You may play the ball on the green side of the lake where it last crossed the penalty area, no nearer the hole.
6. The lake between holes #9 and #11 are a penalty area and should be played accordingly by the rules of golf
7. Specific areas to the right and left of the #4 green will be marked as a penalty area. Two drop zones will be established or a player can proceed under the normal rules of golf.
Wave up on Hole #4 if the group behind you is waiting. If the group behind you is not ready to hit, then finish the hole.
8. The stipulated round consists of playing 18 holes of the course in their correct sequence, starting on either hole #1 or #10.
9. In match play tournaments, each competitor must attempt to contact his opponent for the purpose of an agreed starting time or date. If a Saturday time cannot be arranged, the match must be played upon mutual agreement before the following Saturday. If no contact or agreement between players has been made, both should be available for play at the regular Association starting time on Saturday. If an opponent is not ready for play by 10 minutes after his Association starting time, the Tournament Director will rule the match a forfeit.
In case of rain or threatening weather, both players must mutually agree to play at a later time or date. Otherwise, play must continue as scheduled.
10. Rules of the Day will be posted in the clubhouse each Saturday by 8:30 a.m. First group tees off at 8:50 and will head to tee around 8:40. Summer Rules, Winter Rules (pick, clean and place in own fairway) and Jungle Rules (pick, clean and place through the green. Bunkers can be raked and ball placed in the prepared area) will be the only options.
Jungle Golf through the green - 1 club length no nearer the hole. If the one club length of relief allows you to change the cut of the grass, that is permissible.
11. Free drop from divots in own fairway when playing Summer Rules.
12. Stroke play scores count for Association purposes only when the round is played on Saturday and will be valid only when the player has played the full 18 holes with another Association member.
13. Association members are responsible for posting their own score (gross score, net score, etc.) on the tally sheet within 15 minutes after completion of the round. Only posted scores will be eligible for prizes. Scorecards must also be turned in for each foursome and placed in a box designated for that purpose.
Members are also responsible for posting their equitable adjusted scores for their rounds (from Association play and from rounds outside of Association) in the handicap computer in the pro shop or online at ghin.com.
14. Guests will be permitted to play with Association members only during the last 15 minutes of the allotted starting times, provided such play does not interfere with Association play and that there is an open starting time available. Association members have priority on starting times. The same guest can be invited no more than 3 times during a given year.
15. Association members must participate in a minimum of 4 of the prior scheduled events (less rainouts) to be eligible for the Club Championship. The scheduled events will be from the first Saturday in April until the weekend before President’s Day.
16. (Amended by majority vote March 2019) The 54 Hole event will dictate the top 8 seeds. The remaining 8 seeds will be determined by GHIN Handicap assuming you meet the minimum eligible number of events to play for Club Championship in AA Flight. AA flight player not wishing to play in the Club Championship will NOT be eligible for play in any other flight. Any open slots not filled by the top 16 players will be offered to the top A-flight players by GHIN Handicap. A-flight players will have option to play for Club Championship or remain in A-flight for flight championship. Open slots declined by A-flight players will not be filled by subsequent offers and the AA-Flight Club Championship bracket will proceed with the final number of eligible players. In the event of players having the same GHIN handicap, the money earnings will break the tie, followed then by 54-hole medal tournament standings.
17. The final round of the championship flight will be 36 holes of match play. The finals in all other flights will be 18 holes of match play. All championship matches must be completed within 14 days of their scheduled start date.
18. Any ball coming to rest in a man-made aeration hole in your own fairway (including fringe) may be dropped without penalty.
19. (Amended by majority vote March 2019) Reverting to Pine Hills Local Rules as written on score card. Free drop (within one club length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief or in the designated drop zones) from all flower beds and landscaped areas (landscaped areas defined by the presence of pine straw, mulch, wood chips with or without flowers present) and arborvitae (the tall thin bushes planted for protection from wild golf shots on holes 2, 3, 10, 11, 12, and 16. (The ball must be found in the arborvitae in order to get a free drop.) If the ball is not found, then it is a lost ball and the player must go back to the original point of play and re-hit the shot. Or a one stroke penalty and drop a ball in the drop zone.
20. The use of a device that measures distance is approved. The use of a device that measures conditions that might affect a player's play (wind, gradient, and slope etc.) is permitted.
21. Senior Tee boxes Rule amended March 2017 as follows:
If the handicap of an eligible player changes after he has elected to play from the forward tees, such that the player is NO LONGER eligible to play from the forward tees, the player must revert to the tees appropriate for their flight level.
Players electing to do so will play consistently from any forward tees for the duration of the season (unless their handicap changes and they are no longer eligible to play forward tees.
22. (Amended by majority vote March 2019) Improve speed of play Hole #7, when a player’s shot is hit into the steep bank and thick grass area to the Left of #7 Green; if ball is not found, players will proceed with a lost ball penalty and hit from the drop area at the bottom of the bank area left of # 7 green rather than re-hitting a shot from the original location. With regard to the fence separating Holes 7 & 3, if your shot is impaired by the fence, you are entitled to take relief within the drop zone located by the bunker and will be assessed a one stroke penalty.
23. (Amended by majority vote March 2019) Holes 15, 16, & 17, the area previously defined as out of bounds is now considered a penalty area and a player should drop according to the rules of golf.
24. Under a newly established Local Rule, a club is “broken or significantly damaged” if it meets the following conditions:
However, a player is not allowed to replace his or her club solely because there is a crack in the club face or clubhead.
Some new course pace of play guidelines.
Your tee time is when we expect you to hit it, not when we are sending you to the tee. We would like to have everyone ready 10 minutes prior to your time, not paying and getting ready 10 minutes before your tee time. If we have problems with players being ready, we will send out your group and you will have to skip the first hole. If you miss a hole, or don't finish one, to post a score you take par plus any handicap strokes you were entitled too.